[SEL] Magneto coil question

Orrin B Iseminger obise at moscow.com
Fri May 8 09:22:41 PDT 2009

The principle of electrical induction requires three things:  1) Magnetic
field, 2) Electrical conductor, 3) Relative movement between the two.

Of course, we always think of the copper coil as being the conductor; but,
wait a minute!  The iron core is also a conductor.  Electrical currents can
be induced in the iron, as well.

Think of the laminations as being a way of discouraging those electrical
currents--called eddy currents--in the iron core.  Ideally, the laminations
are insulated from one another with a layer of varnish.

By breaking the core into thin laminations the electrical path is chopped
into tiny pieces.

Suffice it to say, in these coils eddy currents are not good.

Regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA