[SEL] Lorenz & Benz Register Totals

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Fri Mar 6 10:50:09 PST 2009

Hi George,

I'll bet you thought you weren't gonna get a response.  8-))

You are correct, the total numbers (98) of the HIGH QUALITY Lorenz and Benz engines
are far smaller than those COMMON Australs; only about one tenth as many known.
8-))  Plus for the Czech engines we totally lack any sort of factory data.

Lorenz Engines - 58 total
3-4 hp   - 32
4-5 hp   - 8
4-6 hp   - 2
3 hp     - 4
3-3.5 hp - 1
4 hp     - 1
Unknown  - 9

Benz Engines - 40 total
3-4 hp  - 12
3-5 hp  - 1
4-5 hp  - 13
4-6 hp  - 2
5-6 hp  - 4
5-7 hp  - 1
8-10 hp - 1
3 hp    - 1
4 hp    - 1
5 hp    - 1
Unknown - 3

So if anyone on the lists has a Lorenz or Benz engine (or knows of one), please send
me the details (and photos if possible).

Vertical governors 'eh?  That'll be a first for the Lorenz & Benz register!  I do
have two early ones that are ignitor fired and one really old diesel Lorenz.  I
think those are the most odd in the register to date.

See ya,  Arnie

On Fri, March 6, 2009 10:12 am, Best, George wrote:

> How about posting the below information from your Czech engine register?
> Shouldn't take too much effort as I'm sure you'd be dealing with much
> smaller numbers :-)
>
> Oh... on our trip we're planning on visiting the collector I bought my
> green Lorenz from.  I've never been to his place but was told he has
> some early Czech engines with vertical governors.

believed to be clean.