[SEL] O.T O.T. O.T. - any chemist on the List?

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Mon Mar 2 05:21:49 PST 2009

Paul, the real question about any residual solvent is whether or not it was
repackaged.  Commercial solvents, after use and contamination, are normally
shipped to disposal centers where they are incinerated.  The costs are high
and sometimes, drums "get lost" and are found elsewhere a long time later.

If your drums or containers contained straight acetone which was emptied out
in the manufacture of nail polish or lacquer thinner, your drums are
uncontaminated and a water wash will carry any residual acetone away.  If,
after a water wash, there is still "stuff" in the drums, you have drums
which held recycled solvent and who knows what might be in there.

Try the water wash.  If the drums come out clean, your job is done and the
drums will be fine for collecting rain water.  Acetone is so volatile that
any trace amounts will evaporate with initail drying.  Peter's comments
below are correct.

Jim