[SEL] Cooling system bypass loops.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Thu Jun 25 06:51:50 PDT 2009

As slow and as lightly loaded as we run most of our engines, many of them,
especially externally cooled engines, never get up to proper operating
temperatures. This results in inside cylinder condensation and problems
with ignitors and spark plugs. Several years ago when restoring the early
Alamo I experimented by installing a cooling system bypass loop. Given
that the engine has a fixed volume water pump, restricting the water flow
is not an option, so the bypass loop allows water to flow thru the system
freely, but little water flows thru the water jacket. This proved to work
very well on the Alamo, allowing good running temperatures, so I decided
to give this a try on the 8HP Famous saw rig. Here are a few photos of the
plumbing work I did on Tuesday night. Maybe someone will find this useful.
Enjoy,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC USA

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/8Famous/Thumbnails.html>