[SEL] Recharging of Maytag coils

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Jun 8 12:14:28 PDT 2009

Having a degree in automotive technology, earned when points were still in
use to some degree, here's why I state that it MAY, mind you MAY not start
and/or run, or run properly:

When the points open, the sudden loss of primary current causes a quickly
collapsing magnetic field in the coil which induces a larger voltage in
the secondary windings. The voltage traveling through the secondary
winding in turn induces a current flow, in reverse, in the primary circuit
- enough to cause the points to arc.
This “back emf” is due to the design of the ignition coil and its inherent
inductance.  This feedback of electrical energy causes a spark to occur at
the points that pits and erodes the contact surfaces.  To suppress this
energy, a condenser is used.  It acts like a shock absorber (absorbing the
back emf), ** and in so doing it helps to interrupt the primary current as
quickly as possible when the points open.
Without the condenser, the back emf would form an arc across the points as
they separate, ** slowing the collapse of the coil’s field, thus delaying
and thereby reducing the voltage rise in the secondary coil winding -
~possibly~ reducing it enough to cause it to not span the plugs gap.  The
condenser suppresses most, but not all of the back emf. So points still
burn or erode.

Bill