[SEL] Recharging of Maytag coils

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Jun 8 10:43:21 PDT 2009

Hi Mark,
         (Actually to Mark Shulaw but kept on the lists for others to read
and learn!!)
         Just a quick update.
         I took the drive to my friend (70 miles away) yesterday and he
recharged the magnets for both twins for me. Very impressive, I've never
seen this done before.
         They previously only attracted a screwdriver - now you can pick
the whole flywheel up with a lathe tool !!
         Unfortunately this was quite late yesterday so I could not "play"
with the engine but it did appear to start easier (still with the electric
drill) and ran a little smoother. Today was work (day job) again so I've
not been able to do anything to the Maytag - next step is to try and start
without the condensor. (I still cannot start it easily with the kick start!).
         I will first try with the condensor disconnected (but will not run
it for any length of time like this). If this gives me a better spark then
I'll replace the condensor. Can you tell me if I can use any car condensor
(I've ordered from you but in the meanwhile should I go out and buy a
condensor from a lawnmower engine (eg. Briggs & Stratton) to try with.
         I do not know anything about how condensors are "rated" and also
know that if I went to one of the local "auto spares" shops that they would
also not know the difference. My friend (who recharged the magnets)
suggested a lawnmower engine condensor as these are for a magneto.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>