[SEL] O.T. O.T. Need Help On Water Flow Problem

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Jun 4 12:41:53 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 04/06/2009, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:50:27 -0500
>From: "Elden DuRand" <edurand at mchsi.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] O.T. O.T. Need Help On Water Flow Problem
>Paul:
>I think what I'd do would be to use the PVC pipe as a manifold to which I
>would attach a number of irrigation drip heads.
>
>Go to a big box store and look at the Rainbird and other systems.  You can
>get drip heads that can be used with 1/2" NPT (I think) PVC nipples which,
>in turn, are screwed into 1/2" NPT holes in the manifold.
>They are adjustable so you can balance the system close enough for Mother
>Nature.
>What, me engineer??!!
>Take care - Elden
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Hi Paul,
         I'm getting into this thread a bit late but have been following
it. It would appear that you are following plans from some "Greenie
Magazine" :-) - have the Tomato plants read the same article ?
         I liked Ron Carolls answer as well as many others.
         If I remember correctly (I'm not going to read all the replies
again) you have 2 main pipes going down the length (which is not very long)
and they are closed on the ends.

         This is what I would do:

         1) I would use a slightly bigger pipe for these lengthwise pipes
(lets just say 3/4") (it reduces friction and increases volume) (I also
think that at the volume/pressure you are using that this will not make any
appreciable difference to the tomato plants) and I would NOT have them
closed at the end - I would join them (maybe with another piece of the same
size pipe) which would in effect give you a "circuit" ie. (with no holes
yet) the pressure would be equal throughout the circuit.
         2) Then drill your holes (but I prefer the adjustable microjet
nozzles or Ron Carrol's idea using screws and washers). When deciding on
the size holes (assuming you are NOT using aforementioned adjustable
microjet nozzles) you should drill go for something like this.
         i) The "area" of the inlet pipe. (I'm going to change to metric
here - it's easier for me to work out but the principle is exactly the
same.) 3/4" inch pipe is (as near as dammit) 19mm pipe. (I'm also going to
use this as an internal measurement for the sake of not letting this turn
into an encyclopaedia).
         The mathematical formula for working out the "area" of a circle is
"pi" X radius squared) (I do not know how to write this correctly on my
keyboard).
         Now I'll try to explain this as easily as possible (apologies to
all others for this "long winded explanation").
         To all you guys who understand these things I do apologise but I'm
gonna try to explain this thing in a way that someone who does not
understand will get the picture.
         "pi" is a mathematical formula described by some ancient Greek -
you do not need to know how he arrived at it - just use it. Roughly it is
(22 divided by seven) or "the answer"  (3.1428571)
         Your 19mm pipe has an internal diameter of 19mm (surprise). So the
"area" of this opening is ("pi" X  (times) the radius) (if the diameter is
19 mm then the radius is half of that or 9.5 mm
         This equals pi (22 divided by seven) or 3.1428571) multiplied by
the radius of the 19mm pipe
         3.1428571 x 9.5(the radius - or 1/2 of the diameter of the pipe)
equals 29.857 (unless my cheap Taiwanese calculator is lying to me). This
is the delivery area of your pipe. 29.857
         Now divide this by the number of "delivery points" that you need.
In your case you mentioned 16 (tomato plants). So divide the answer above
by 16 - ie. 29.857 divided by 16 = 1.8660625. and this will give you your
answer for the area of the holes you need. Now you need to convert this
"area" back to a diameter (so you know what size drill to use). Now, for
tonight, I've forgotten the formula  needed here so I will use "Google" (to
work out the "diameter of a circle" from the area").
         This gave me an answer of "1.5414099285872527" - If "Google" was
correct then you need to drill all your holes "1.5 mm".
         What I would do is to drill these holes approximately half of this
size and put a bucket under any one of the holes and measure how long it
takes to provide your required amount of water (always trying to bear in
mind that the tomato plants have read the same article.) It's more accurate
to have "half size" holes and leave the tap (faucet) open for twice as long.
         Sometimes "maths" or "science" can baffle us all - have the tomato
plants also read this article?
         Now, the above method will only work if your delivery (where the
water comes from) pressure is always exactly the same. Do you really think
that the tomato plants give a damn?

Understand that this answer will only be relevant if your water pressure is
always exactly the same ie. "all things being equal".

         Paul, I've been there, done that and bought the "t"shirt. Fresh
"homegrown" veggies are really great and they are also "so green". But, at
the end of the day, they will always cost you more than you can buy them
for at the local vegetable shop. The reason is that you will grow veggies
"in season" at the same time as the "big producers" put theirs on the
market. Unless you are planning to produce "out of season" (which involves
major investment in greenhouses and similar) you will not win financially.
         Just my opinion. Be prepared to have that "They came from my
garden" expression cost you Bucks.
Jerry

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans