[SEL] O.T. O.T. Need Help On Water Flow Problem

P. Johns enginepaul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:29:19 PDT 2009

Paul:

I'm getting into this a little late, but those are all good answers. I have
a certificate in plumbing engineering but I haven't calculated anythings
since we used pencil and paper. (I feel old)

I'd look into a commercially available drip system first because the nozzles
are probably adjustable. Next I'd try the smaller hole thing.

If you do try to calculate the system, forget Pascal's Law for this system
because there is a pressure drop at each hole and there is energy lost in
the pipe; if there is an elevation change, that adds another calculation.
You need the General Energy Equation and for accuracy, the friction
coefficient of the pipe surface. Now, I'm not even sure about this and all
my reference books are put away from my move, but the loss from a hard right
angle will absorb some of the energy. If I find the books, I might try to
figure this out for practice but if you want the fastest results, try the
screws in the holes method because it will be a lot faster and should work.
Oh yea, some water supplies from cities vary greatly during the day, so
re-check your flow every now and then if it varies greatly. (That is why
plumbing starts leaking at night)

You got some smart people helping you here. (Other than me)

Paul in California, heading to the store to buy foreign grown tomatoes.