[SEL] on facebook? - to Kevin K - OT

Paul Pavlinovich pjp08 at steamengine.com.au
Fri Jul 17 17:15:34 PDT 2009

Absolutely share your amazement Arnie, but it isn't new to facebook. It
used to happen on the old dial up bulliten boards and internal chat
systems. A friend of mine built the first interactive chat system that I
ever knew about long before the web existed on a CDC Cyber 970
mainframe. This thing kept about 40% of the population of my and
interconnected universities amused and it was no different then. People
like to talk and they like to talk about themselves. Some people pause
to listen on occasion - that is conversation. Those that never pause to
listen are those most vulnerable to facebook.

Is it different on this list? It is a public forum - there are hundreds
of subscribers - do you know everyone here? No? Neither do I. There are
people who read but never post. They might be innocents or they might
have other motives. How many times have you told what you consider to be
your collection or friends that you're going to Portland, or Baraboo, or
even the big overseas trips. How many times have I done it? Plenty is
the answer because we like to think that we're safe here.

Regards
Paul