[SEL] Lister SL-3 Help

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:30:14 PDT 2009

2009/7/14 jlb94 <jlb94 at juno.com>:
> Hi Bob,
> Been sitting' here waiting for some response to your problem.
> Haven't seen any.
> I'm not sure what kind of engine a Lister SL-3 is but, being on the SEL,
> I'm hoping it's a flywheel engine.

Unfortunately not, or they would all be in collector's hands!

The SL is one of the earliest air-cooled Lister engines, developed at
the same time as the LD diesel.

The LD was designed to have the same mounting centres and shaft height
and diameter as the Lister D petrol engine.

The SL is an LD with a bigger bore by memory, I haven't had time to
dig the manual out.

I think you have the option of a crankcase access plate so you could
possibly get inside and undo the big ends and lift off the cylinder
with piston and conrod.

Spares are available, but by no means plentiful, especially in the USA.

OK, while looking for something else, I have found the manual:

3-3/16" X 3-1/2" bore and stroke.
12.75hp @ 1800 rpm.
27.90 cu in per cylinder.
513 lbs(#) weight or 233 kg

Manual is Book 353/865 that will be August 1965 publication.

The book shows a crankcase inspection cover and the big ends are split
level and horizontal.

Peter

--
Peter A Forbes