[SEL] Working Clothes

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Jul 6 11:09:21 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 06/07/2009, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:08:52 +1000
>From: Patrick <pml1 at bigpond.net.au>
>Subject: [SEL] Working Clothes
>
>Now a topic that I am sure will result in differing views; The definition of
>'working clothes'. It is one that is seen and heard a lot these days but the
>definition seems fairly fluid.
> >From engines I have seen in their original working environments it can range
>from immaculately maintained to covered in muck and held together with bits
>of wire.
>Any opinions out there on 'working clothes'?
>Patrick M Livingstone
>Leichhardt NSW
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html

Hi Patrick,
         Being a relative "newbie to this game, here is my opinion. I agree
with all the previous answers.
         There is no correct answer to the question. If, as you mentioned,
you are lucky enough to come across one that has been "immaculately
maintained". Then show it like that. Those in the know will really
appreciate it. Of course, if it has been "immaculately maintained" then it
will have no grease, oil or other "muck" on it!
         If it has "bits of wire" holding it together then it's up to you.
An engine with "farmers repairs" can also generate a lot of interest at
shows if it is a relatively "rare" engine and you make a point of touting
the fact that it has worked successfully for "xxx" years in that condition.
          Every owner has his own priorities and it depends on what he
wants to do with the engine. (I loved Eldens reply :"Anyhoo - the engine
belongs to the owner and he or she is free to do whatever rings their chimes."
         Are you restoring the engine for your own gratification and
enjoyment or are you restoring it with a view to it being an "investment"?
Even then, will you get a higher price for it from a "purist" or someone
who appreciates the work you've put into it or the rarity of the machine?
         "Working clothes" in my opinion means just that - with all the
grease, oil and other "gunk" intact and will attract attention at shows. In
my experience, it attracts attention because some member of the public will
say "Hey, look here's a really old one!!"
         That's my "tuppence ha'pennies" worth!

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>