[SEL] OT: furnace vs generator

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:50:12 PST 2009

Thanks to SEL folks for the answers both on and off list.  I'm still cold but I have some good ideas to follow up on.  I will try to answer all the posts at one time.  This furnace does not have a pilot light.  It has a glowing hot coil that ignites the gas at the main burner.  The ignitor works and the gas comes on momentarily and lights.  The burner goes out after about 10 seconds.  Maybe a faulty thermocouple which I DID clean per recommendations.  Both the draft and main blowers run as they are supposed to.  I have considered the "dirty" power problem and it may be the cause.  I would think that if the "dirty" power was the problem that the burner would not light at all.  At this point, I will probably figure out how to jumper to the gas valve to keep it open and the flame burning.