[SEL] Where is everyone?

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 05:25:25 PST 2009

Well, I have been lurking lately, but lots of things to occupy my time like
most of us.  From November thru February I have a great  time rabbit hunting
with my beagles.  They sure like to get out and  run and it is a lot of fun
watching the young dogs learn to hunt.  Millie  says I like to take my dogs out
so much that if she should pass away during this  time, she would have to be
put in cold storage until the season is over to  receive a proper burial!  Ha!

On topic though I recently was contacted by an Amish man to come and get an
engine started he had recently acquired. He lived about an hour away and  had
found out about me thru a mutual acquaintance.  Turned out the engine  was in
fairly good condition and I had it running in a couple of hours by
make-shifting some stuff.  I took a bunch of parts off and brought them  home to
properly fix them, like rebuild mag, machine a new governor spindle,  rebuild carb
pump, etc.  I went back and reassembled and showed him how to  start and run it.
 He was very pleased as some of his fellow Amish  neighbors said it would
never run, but they did not know anything about the old  engines, nor the
persistence of the person that came to fix it!  Thanks to  Glenn for sending me some
information on the carb which I had not dealt with  before.

It is a 5 hp Hercules, throttle governed, kerosene, Webster mag.  Not  sure
if the cart is original to it, but it has been on it for a long time.   He had
purchased it for the unheard of price of $50.  I should have told  him his
neighbors were right about never running and that it was junk and  offered to
double his money!

Pictures at:

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/Herc1.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/Herc1.jpg)