[SEL] O.T. O.T. Need Computer Help

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Jan 9 11:56:16 PST 2009

Mark Shulaw wrote:
> Hi,  You have to keep in mind that the point of the whole
> Microsoft  Windows operating system was to make the personal computer
> possable to the masses and so it must be more user friendly.  So the more
> computer illiterates you have using, the easier it is for them to mess
> things up. And yes I include myself in the arena of computer
> illiterates.  Just because we can use email, google porn or sell on Ebay
> does not mean we know a whip about computers and the operating systems. So
> you have to make it way easier to correct their mistakes because there is
> not enough truely "system" or "hardware" literate people around to correct
> problems.
>   You want to keep a system secure, then make it difficult or complicated
> and keep the knowledge base of people who know it to a minimum, restrict
> their access.  And then too, it better be stand alone.
>    None of us or very few of us use our computers to even 10% of their true
> capabilities.   Mark

The problem with XP HOME is that it is semi crippled as far as real iron
door security goes, IF you have access to the actual computer. Basically
the same as any other computer in that, regardless of the machine or OS
used Linux, Windows, Unix, OS X, it doesn't matter if you have physical
access to the machine. Unless the user made it secure it isn't.
 However you can make it VERY secure if you wish. You start by using a
BIOS password, That means you type in a password before the machine will
even boot up. Then you add a password to the administrative account and
set up ALL other accounts to have limited access with passwords on them
as well.

Now the only person who can actually do damage is the one who holds the
bios and admin passwords.

However many folks don't want to be bothered with this level of
security, they only want to plug it in turn it on and surf the net.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York