[SEL] Thread question

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:12:46 PST 2009

On 06/01/2009, rdhaskell at juno.com <rdhaskell at juno.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I am trying to make an old telephone generator/magneto function.  The
> problem is the threads that attach the crank handle.  The outside
> diameter of the threads is .267", and the threads measure 24 per inch.
> What in the world is this?
> The only markings on it are the number 48A and "PATD in USA July 1894.
> Thanks.
>
> Ron Haskell

0.266" X 26tpi is a standard cycle thread, and there are various
speciality threads with 24tpi, such as Admiralty Fine, where all
threads under 1/2" are 24tpi, but I cannot see anyone in the USA using
a British thread standard!

There is an ASME 0.268" diameter X 22tpi as well.

Thread charts etc at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Tables/Mech1.htm
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Tables/Mech1.htm

Peter