[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Fri Jan 2 07:31:37 PST 2009

> Maybe I remember wrong.  I DO know, though, that if you have the O/D
> manually engaged (by bypassing the solenoid and making it stay engaged)
> and try to roll back, it will lock.

Elden,
Ahh that answers the question I had. This is the condition I am seeing on
the bench, so this tells me I have every thing together correctly.

> As a matter of fact, in my Perkins'd 50 Chevy, I used that little
> "undocumented feature" to hold the car on uphill grades  like at a traffic
> light on a hill.

I'd thought about doing this very thing to aide a new young driver dealing
with a clutch. There aren't many hills here in the piedmont of NC, but
none-the-less it's a real worry for new drivers. Especially considering
how damned close today's drivers pull up behind people. Back when everyone
was driving stick shifts, everyone left plenty of room to the next driver
at stops for the inevitable roll back.

I've been hammering on Devin the importance of parking and stopping the
engine while using reverse instead of first gear. If for some reason the
emergency brake failed or released, the only remaining "brake" is engine
braking. First with the freewheeling feature is a disaster! Reverse locks
the sun gear and provides engine braking as long as in first or reverse.
It's either do this or remember to pull the OD cable out every time.

I always wondered why my drivers ed. teacher told us to always use reverse
when parking. I'd pulled several manual gearboxes apart by then and knew
the ration was the same for first vs. reverse, but having learned about
these OD gearboxes, it makes perfectly good sense! I always followed his
advise anyway.

> It's always a good idea to lock out the O/D in mountains, etc.  Two
> reasons.......One is that with the lower ratios, engine braking will not
> be as strong and the second is that the free wheeling, even at lower
> speeds, can make for scary downhill driving.

Especially with old drum brakes like this vehicle has!

> Ain't this fun??!!

Yes it is!
Curt