[SEL] Back to the Briggs coil

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Feb 24 18:21:30 PST 2009

Apple and oranges. The magnetron system is electronic, not points. What the
maytag folks want is a coil to replace their coil. The newer B&S coil is
actually an ignition system that looks like the old coil but is a complete
electronic ignition system AND coil in one sealed unit.
I strongly doubt the magnetron system will work on the maytag.
Could be wrong, but the reason it crosses on B&S is that they are UPGRADING
your old engine to the new magnetron - or electronic ignition system.
I suspect the little card that comes with that new B&S coil mentions this
and mentions you don't connect the points any more.
It's trigged by the magnetic field, electronically, not by points.
Been a LOT of years since I was a B&S dealer, but some of this just seems
familiar.........
May be wrong.......
Tell ya what, check with Bob.......... he does small engine repair,
including B&S.

Bill