[SEL] aus fires are off again - fire contained

pjp08 at steamengine.com.au pjp08 at steamengine.com.au
Mon Feb 23 15:17:56 PST 2009

Thanks to the efforts of (mainly volunteer) fire fighters overnight using
16 strike teams (there are 5 fire engines in each strike team) and three
water bombing helicopters the fires in our area have been controlled. The
brigade announced this morning that they hope to have it blacked out
before the nasty weather due on Friday (hot with strong winds). We all had
a lucky break when the wind swung around 180 degrees and blew the fire
back on itself. Only one ridge line seperates the area I live in from the
area that was burning.

Despite the early reports all houses in the area were saved. No lives were
lost although several people have been hospitalised with serious burns.
One fire engine was destroyed and another damaged. The crews escaped with
some injuries.

The only fire damage in my town of Emerald was unrelated. A lady filling a
jerry can with petrol knocked it over and it ignited. Two cars were
totalled and the petrol station is currently closed. I have not been up
there yet but will have a glance when I go to the bank this morning.

Once again the reporting of this incident really shows the credibility (or
intense lack of it) with our various media organisations. The government
broadcaster concentrated on only facts. The others ranged from reporting
one house had been lost (it was a shed) to one station (yay channel 10)
reporting that hundreds of houses and many lives had been lost. Imagine
what this does to the relatives and home owners - obviously they
anticipated the worst and decided to get the scoop but did not anticipate
the wind change. The same station announced the fire was deliberately lit.
Turns out that it was started by a grass slasher (giant lawn mower)
operating in a field. The machine should not have been used and the
operator has some explaining to do. Machinery is not allowed to be used
outside during a total fire ban.

Some of what the public is saying on media blog sites is downright scary
too - some people really do have strange minds. Statements range from:
- level all the forests to make country living safe.
- stop people living in the country
- burn the greenies because they plant trees
- greenies prevent burning off (some do, but most recognise the need)
- everything is the greenie's fault
- the fire brigade don't give enough warning (hard to give more IMHO)
Basically it all seems to boil down to being someone else's fault. Sad.

I look around the area in which I live - my block is as clear as I want to
make it - we have some trees and I accept the risk that goes with that. If
they burn then so be it. I do what I can to mitigate the risk - blocking
openings, being able to plug and fill my house gutters, cleaning up fallen
leaves etc. I know my sheds and their contents would be lost. So be it.
Some houses are so nestled in amongst the trees that they will burn as
they are undefendable. If the owners accept that risk knowingly then ok,
but I'd be betting many of them think that "it won't happen to me". Sadly
one day it will.

Thanks for the well wishers who contacted me overnight. Your thoughts help
us keep up our spirits.

Regards
Paul