[SEL] aus fires are off again

pjp08 at steamengine.com.au pjp08 at steamengine.com.au
Mon Feb 23 00:51:59 PST 2009

Greetings everyone. The biggest of the fires from two weeks ago are still
burning but are a considerable distance from us. Today they are again
threatening communities.

This afternoon a new one started which is burning in the outer suburbs of
Melbourne from Upwey and Lysterfield through Belgrave towards Selby. The
astute who glance at google maps will notice that Emerald is in that
direction. We've done more cleanup and deployed our internal hose and
external hoses. Mops are in steel buckets. Everyone is waiting on the wind
to see what happens.

This one has horrid potential because the area we live in may look like
bush but is actually medium density housing.

So far the reputable emegency radio broadcaster has confirmed one house
and two fire trucks have been lost in the Belgrave Heights area.

Earlier a colleague from work called and asked me to go and pick up his
mother who was much closer to the fire than us. I did that and she is
since safely down the hill to Berwick with her son.

While it has been a warm dry day there has been no lightening or anything
else so this is again likely to be deliberately lit. There has been recent
discussion around classing arsonists as terrorists. I'm all for it.

Wish us and our neighbours luck overnight folks.

Regards
Paul