[SEL] Licence plates

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Mon Feb 9 07:38:00 PST 2009

Hi, There are different rates of course depending on the package. Envelopes
that are flexible thus able to run thru their automatic sorting machines
goes for a slightly cheaper rate. The same envelope but STIFF, non
machinable. Goes at a surcharge rate, not shown on any of their charts
on-line that I have ever seen. But its appears on the screens at the post
office when they punch in a code for non machinable envelope. So you can
mail a stiff envelope they just charge you more.  Its usually only a small
amount more.

Yes you have to ask for the cheapest rate or else they will default to a
higher rate, I've seen them quote Priority Mail for envelopes. If you don't
fuss thats what you will pay for. If you fuss then they will go down the
line till you quit fussing or they reach the cheapest and can't go any
further.

  There are other hidden surcharge rates that does not show up on the
screen, like packages not of cardboard, UPS does this same thing, a
surcharge for items packaged in plastic, wood or metal crates or
containers. You will not find this one on the regular rates page when
calculating postage. This one will cost you $5.00 more.    Mark

At 03:11 PM 2/9/2009 +1100, you wrote:

>For those sending one plate from the USA, try a large stiff envelope and
>ask your post office. The USPS web site mentions that an envelope can't be
>rigid ?? different to here. So that might be a restriction to cheap
>postage, but ask for the cheapest airmail to Oz. The US licence plate
>length may also beat you for letter size posting ??.
>I try all ways of reducing postage costs by looking at the fine print.

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA

Frappi at wcoil.com
419.516.2996 Ver. Cell
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.