[SEL] Licence plates

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Sun Feb 8 20:11:09 PST 2009

Hi all
For those who have volunteer plates to my collection and to anything else engine related it might be worth knowing this as far as postage goes.

Most people do not know that you can post things like plate aluminium (aluminum), steel, gaskets, books, etc etc as long as it is not thicker than 20mm (3/4") and weight not more 500grams (1.1lbs) it can go as a large letter $1.10 in Australia
There are allot of ways you can save money if you know your postmaster well like I do or study the Australia Post web site. http://www.auspost.com.au/

For those sending one plate from the USA, try a large stiff envelope and ask your post office. The USPS web site mentions that an envelope can't be rigid ?? different to here. So that might be a restriction to cheap postage, but ask for the cheapest airmail to Oz. The US licence plate length may also beat you for letter size posting ??.
I try all ways of reducing postage costs by looking at the fine print.
Sometimes an Express Post Bag is cheaper for long distance in Oz up to 3Kg, cheaper by $4 in some cases to putting something in a box.
Because our dollar has crashed again, getting stuff from UK or USA is now expensive again, so any reduction is good.
Do your homework guys and save money to spend on engines.
My $0.02 worth

Peter, oz