[SEL] I gave up on the Hvid!

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Sat Dec 26 16:23:58 PST 2009

Gang:

After getting the Homebrew Hvid engine running optimally, I have come to the conclusion that it is just too small (2" bore X 4" stroke, 12 cubic inches) to avoid heat quenching issues.  Although it started fairly easily and ran reasonably well, it smoked a lot and made minimal power.  After some thought, I've converted it to spark ignition and naphtha fuel.  This involved making another head, mixer, etc.

It ran for the first time today.  You can see the saga on my web page.

Oh, yes - I've saved all the Hvid parts so, if I get nostalgic for the smell of Diesel clag, I can take a couple of hours and convert it back to Hvid.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand