[SEL] New Topic: Hills Diesel

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Dec 14 09:52:37 PST 2009

At 07:00 PM 14/12/2009, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:40:40 +1100
>From: "Domeney Brothers" <dombros2 at clearmail.com.au>
>Subject: [SEL] New Topic: Hills Diesel
>To: <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Hi there, engine lovers
>I was reading through the February 1936 edition of "The RUDDER-The
>Magazine for Yachtsmen" ( mail is fairly slow here from USA) when I came
>on a story about the new Hill Diesel Engine. A single cylinder marine
>engine developing from 10-15 hp, and designed by Mr R E Olds (I assume of
>Oldsmobile fame).
>
>The interesting feature of the engine is the design, no cylinder head, two
>pistons in the cylinder come together to create the compression, and power
>is transmitted by rocker shafts to the crankshaft.
>
>It is identical (but only 1/3 the size) of the Tilling Stevens engine used
>by the Rootes Group in England for the Commer truck. Napier engines also
>used a similar system with large engines and 3 banks of cylinders.
>
>However, this Hill engine predates the Tilling Stevens unit by 12 years.
>
>An interesting claim made in the story is that the engine could be
>dismantled, new piston rings fitted, the engine reassembled and be running
>again in 5 minutes.
>
>Were the Hill engines sold in any numbers? Do any still exist today? Can
>anyone out there add to the story, please?
>
>With thanks
>
>Teddy

Hi Teddy,
         And to think - I thought our post was slow!!

         Google finds a lot of info on the engine as well as a copy of the
1937 patent with clear drawings here:
<http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2099371.html>

According to this his name was Ransom E Olds and it looks like the first
patent was filed in 1934.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>