[SEL] New Topic: Hills Diesel

Domeney Brothers dombros2 at clearmail.com.au
Mon Dec 14 01:40:40 PST 2009

Hi there, engine lovers
I was reading through the February 1936 edition of "The RUDDER-The Magazine for Yachtsmen" ( mail is fairly slow here from USA) when I came on a story about the new Hill Diesel Engine. A single cylinder marine engine developing from 10-15 hp, and designed by Mr R E Olds (I assume of Oldsmobile fame).

The interesting feature of the engine is the design, no cylinder head, two pistons in the cylinder come together to create the compression, and power is transmitted by rocker shafts to the crankshaft.

It is identical (but only 1/3 the size) of the Tilling Stevens engine used by the Rootes Group in England for the Commer truck. Napier engines also used a similar system with large engines and 3 banks of cylinders.

However, this Hill engine predates the Tilling Stevens unit by 12 years.

An interesting claim made in the story is that the engine could be dismantled, new piston rings fitted, the engine reassembled and be running again in 5 minutes.

Were the Hill engines sold in any numbers? Do any still exist today? Can anyone out there add to the story, please?

With thanks

Teddy