[SEL] Memories !!! (a bit O.T.)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Dec 10 12:33:42 PST 2009

Hi All,
         I just picked up a United States Motors Corp. Genset.
Unfortunately the motor itself is past saving. Someone in it's past
stripped everything out of it and just used the crankcase, bearings and
crankshaft. A "Vee belt" pulley was fitted in place of the flywheel and it
was then belted to a small Lister to provide the power.

         The genny itself as well as the electrical control board appears
to be complete so I will have to find something to drive it. It's a 36
volt/42 (or maybe 4.2 I cannot see a "point" on the plate) amp @ 2600
R.P.M. unit. Beautiful etched brass plate painted in 2 colours but more of
the genny later. Pics will follow soon.

         Anyway, the subject line says "Memories". While "Googling" for
info I came across this page from Google books - Popular Science 1951 which
carries an advert for United States Motors Corp.

         <http://www.google.co.za/#hl=en&q=%22United+states+motors+corp.%22+oshkosh&start=10&sa=N&fp=aef3ef553a1223ca>

         This brought back so many memories of childhood - I used to read
"Popular Mechanics" and the part I remember most was all the fantastic
adverts for such "cool stuff" at such affordable prices - "army surplus" -
"electric motors" - "build it yourself plans" etc.

         How I dreamt of living in the USA and being able to buy some of
those things!! Of course, in those days it was not as easy as today to
order via the Internet. Buying (or importing) something from a magazine
advert was just unheard of. I used to spend hours reading the adverts and
dreaming what I could do with some of the great stuff advertised there.
Everything was so cheap (in those days our currency was equal to the
dollar)and prices were about 1/4 of what we would have to pay locally. Of
course I had no money in those days but that was never a reason not to dream!

         I am sure that I enjoyed the adverts more than I enjoyed the
actual articles. They certainly provided me with many hours of pleasurable
dreaming !!

         Many years passed after I'd left home (without "Popular Mechanics"
- my Dad used to buy them) and the local currency became weak against the
US$ making the magazine a luxury which I could not afford. Then one day,
probably about 15 years ago I came across them on the bookstore shelves
again, but now as a "South African edition" and affordable. My heart jumped
for joy and I bought one and rushed home to read it (actually I probably
read it in my car outside the bookstore). What a disappointment - it never
had all those great adverts anymore - no more 'bargains" - no more "army
surplus" - no more "build it yourself plans" !! Just the same old adverts
that all our other local mags had. I remember feeling devastated and "let
down". That was the last "Popular Mechanics" I ever bought - I do not even
know if there is a local edition anymore.

         O.K. that's enough rambling and memories - more about the genset
later.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>