[SEL] magnet charger

Ed stoller edstoller at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 2 17:37:14 PST 2009

Hi Jacob,

I found the magazine article to be very complete, well done. I restored a
Model T Ford charger that I got at Portland, Ind. a few years ago and was
disappointed in it. From Peter Rooke's article, I realized that I need to
put the two coils in series, not parallel.  I also found a 250 volt power
supply with a big capacitor and plan to try that.

One of the things I learned on that project is that the guys that charge
magnets have their favorite piece of I -beam. They stick the magnet to the
I -beam and pull it off and know if the magnet is weak or strong. They
really don't need a meter. I think we distributed about 15 kits thru out SEL
and I might have the list of where they went.
All the PC boards are long gone, but I have about 10 of the lower
sensitivity sensors in my H-E box if you need one. I use my gauss meter for
mapping magnets on the flywheels of small air cooled engines and ignition
triggers.

Ed Stoller
New Fairfield, CT
http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/