[SEL] Was snake, now Zucchini OT

Bruce Younger sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:55:19 PDT 2009

On zucchini, I jest - a bit.  A neighbor gave us several of a new to me variety called globe zucchini.  They are the size of a small watermelon.  My DIL prepared them by stuffing with sausage, dried apricots, and couscous.  My problem with it was I ate too much.

Many years back a neighbor sold his house and moved, but it wouldn't be re-occupied for six weeks.  He asked me to keep the place mowed and the squash picked.  Being a Californian, and an officer at that, he had planted a giant hill of 9 kinds of squash.  Before two weeks were out, the neighbors would see me hit the sidewalk with arms full, pulling a radio flyer, and the you could hear the doors slamming for blocks.  I found one I had missed, that was the diameter of a football and three times as long.  The German GI wife across the street nearly begged for that one.  She said she split them lengthwise, cleaned out half the innards, stuffed with rice and sausage and spices, then tied them with string and baked.  She called me over for a sample, and we have been preparing them that way now for over forty years, along with yellow crooknecks.

And I do eat broccoli, but only on breezy days.

Bruce Younger

05G HHC 313 RR Bn 3/67-4/68

Madison, SD

sluggo54 at hotmail.com

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man and those that have hunted
armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

E. Hemingway