[SEL] touch paper/now Field Marshall tractors

Eric Schulz ilifa at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 13 18:36:48 PDT 2009

As there has been a fair bit of interest in the Marshall, I thought a
couple of extra details would be of interest.

These tractors were not really a new design in 1945, they were little
more than a styled version of the M, which goes back to about the mid
30's.

Not all Series 1 and 2 tractors had a low top gear. Either 6 or 9 mph
were optional.

The series 3 engine ran in the opposite direction to the Series 2
because it used the Fowler Marshall transmission which had a different
gear train. The 6 speed gearbox now had a 12 mph top gear.

After inserting the priming paper holder in the cylinder head, be sure
to either screw it in or stand away from it when firing the cartridge.
I have heard of a man standing in front of a tractor that blew the
paper holder into his reproductive area with disastrous results.

Eric