[SEL] Field Marshall

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Tue Aug 11 08:30:41 PDT 2009

Ray,

Thanks for posting your experience.

George

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com [mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of Ray Freeman - Portable Line Boring
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:01 AM
To: 'The SEL email discussion list'
Subject: Re: [SEL] O.T. Test now question about touch paper

I had a series 2 in the early 70's. It was already out of date as a workhorse but I used it on the farm for a number of years before we sold the farm there and moved to another area. It was a great tractor with a bit of character.It would pull a 12 disc plow at a pinch. Would run for days and nights on end running a belt driven pump of the pulley. I normally started it with the crank handle and on a cold morning it was both me and my brother on it. If it was frosty it was to much for two strong young blokes and we used a cartridge.I remember having to sometimes give the left hand pully/flywheel a belt with a bit of timber to unstick the cone clutch. If it got bogged do the same as a Lanz and shut it down before it vibrated its way deep into the mud.Starting it with the cartridge was whoa to go in a split second but the crank and conrod was a serious bit of iron. I think they were built to take that sort of strain.The only mechanical maintenance I did was get the solid bronze big end cap machined to stop it knocking.It used a bit of oil because of the ball valve under the crankcase was worn and let a bit of oil through.  I remember I paid $250 and sold it for the same. It ended its life on a pump near Kyabram.
Ray Freeman