[SEL] O.T. Test now question about touch paper

Ray Freeman - Portable Line Boring plb at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 11 08:00:42 PDT 2009

I had a series 2 in the early 70's. It was already out of date as a
workhorse but I used it on the farm for a number of years before we sold the
farm there and moved to another area. It was a great tractor with a bit of
character.It would pull a 12 disc plow at a pinch. Would run for days and
nights on end running a belt driven pump of the pulley. I normally started
it with the crank handle and on a cold morning it was both me and my brother
on it. If it was frosty it was to much for two strong young blokes and we
used a cartridge.I remember having to sometimes give the left hand
pully/flywheel a belt with a bit of timber to unstick the cone clutch. If it
got bogged do the same as a Lanz and shut it down before it vibrated its way
deep into the mud.Starting it with the cartridge was whoa to go in a split
second but the crank and conrod was a serious bit of iron. I think they were
built to take that sort of strain.The only mechanical maintenance I did was
get the solid bronze big end cap machined to stop it knocking.It used a bit
of oil because of the ball valve under the crankcase was worn and let a bit
of oil through.  I remember I paid $250 and sold it for the same. It ended
its life on a pump near Kyabram.
Ray Freeman