[SEL] Please "hold thumbs" for me :-)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Aug 2 12:22:10 PDT 2009

Hi Guys & Gals,
         Hold thumbs for me please.
         I'm hot on the trail of a Lister 6/1 diesel (or 5/1 - same engine)
"radiator cooled" and hope to see it on the back of my pickup in the next
few days. (The engine that the "Listeroids" were copied from).
         As many of you know, we now have a Black government and they are
systematically trying their best to destroy all the "infrastructure" built
up previously! Well, this time it looks like it may just be to my benefit
if things go the way I hope.
         I have come across 2 radiator cooled Lister diesel 6/1's installed
together in 1953 as "standby" engines in a boiler room of our South African
Railways maintenance workshops. They were there to use in the case of
(electrical) power failures and to keep the "grates" of the boiler working.
         As many of you probably know, we did not have many power failures
in those days (things worked properly - unlike today). Anyway, these
engines have been "scrapped" (possibly as part of a scheme to enrich some
or other govmunt official) and became part of a very large "lot" sold to a
scrappie.
         I have met with this "scrappie" him and he is quite prepared to
sell me one at a very reasonable price - unfortunately not both - he'd like
to keep one for himself but I'm working on that as well (he is NOT a
collector - just appreciates these kind of things) - can you imagine two of
these beautiful engines displayed in their original "working clothes" with
very close serial numbers - Wow - that must be many an engine man's dream.
Of course the fact that they are both "radiator cooled" is also a major
plus - most were supplied set up for "tank cooling".
         These Lister engines (only 56 years old in this case - not as
glamorous as many of your engines) are engines that I have always admired
but never thought that I would be lucky enough to own. They run beautifully
and do definitely have their place in the realm of "historically
significant" stationary engines. (read David Edgingtons book on the CS
(Cold Start) diesels here:
<http://www.stationaryenginebooks.co.uk/listercs.htm>)

         Hey, It's great to talk about engines for a change :-) (and engine
dreams maybe).

         Back to the story. I was also lucky enough to meet up with a
millwright who has spent his whole working life in the same workshops and
he told me (I have no reason to
disbelieve him) that these 2 engines were never "started in anger" ie. they
were never called upon to perform the duties for which they were installed
- the only times that they ran were for regular maintenance and service. He
surmised that they had not run for more than 50 hours each and again, I
have no reason not to believe him.
         Please guys - hold thumbs for me here!
         Back to the story!
         I first saw these 2 engines when my brother asked me to go to a
"preview" of the stuff on auction as he was interested in some lathe parts
about 3 weeks ago. I saw the engines from a distance but did not go closer
for a very good reason. My daughter, Jacqui, had her (uninsured) car stolen
about 2 weeks previous to that and, not being a person of unlimited
financial means, engines were just not in the budget - another car for
Jacqui was top priority. (But those engines stayed in the back of my mind :-))
         Well, without trying to be a preacher, a sign from above came by
means of an unexpected cash paying job that said "Jerry - go and buy that
engine!". I'm sure that many of you will understand. The rest will,
hopefully, be history!

         Back to the engine. As I said, I first viewed it from a distance
and forced myself not to go closer. It seemed to be very dirty - what I
assumed was oil - and this did not "tie up" with what the millwright had
told me about "hours run". I called him again and brought this up - his
answer was, "It's been in a "boiler room" for 50 years, what do you expect
- that's soot not oil."

         Hey Guys (and Gals) I seriously want that engine now and do
believe that it has my name on it. The next 4 or 5 days will tell - as I've
said "please hold thumbs for me!"

         Watch this space.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans