[SEL] Stuck Piston Rings

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Apr 29 13:04:50 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 29/04/2009, you wrote:
>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:52:01 -0700
>From: Rob Skinner <rob at rustyiron.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Stuck Piston Rings
>
>Hi, Ed.  Get yourself a brass drift, start at one end, and tap the
>rings IN.
<big
snip>
>Rob Skinner

Hi guys,
         No disrespect meant, but why is it so important to save the old rings?
         Allow me to ask a few questions:
         i) Is it for the sake of keeping the "original" parts and does
this increase the value of the restored engine?
         ii) Is it because replacing the "old rings" with "new rings" does
not fit the budget or that those "old rings" are no longer available "ex
stock". ?

         If it is for the sake of being able to say "this engine is totally
original as it came from the factory" then I do understand.
         If NOT then why not break the old rings out and have new ones
made? (The old ones are perfect for cleaning out the "ring grooves" and are
probably worn out anyway).

         Maybe we are just lucky in South Africa in that we have a company
that specializes in making piston rings (from their own cast iron) and are
quite willing to make a single set of rings at a very reasonable price. My
12 H.P. Witte Diesel rings (are there 5 or 6 of them, I don't remember)
cost ZAR 250.00 or thereabouts. That's about US$ 30.00. (or about 50 cans
of good South African Beer :-))
         Just asking!

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans