[SEL] Stuck Piston Rings

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Tue Apr 28 13:52:01 PDT 2009

Hi, Ed.  Get yourself a brass drift, start at one end, and tap the
rings IN.  Tap a couple times, rotate the piston a few degrees, and
tap the ring again.  Keep going around and around and around.
Eventually you'll notice a little movement.  Keep working your way
around.

When you notice one area is loose and an adjacent area is still stuck,
don't tap too hard on the loose area, or you'll break something.  Just
be patient and keep tapping.  Eventually the ring will come loose all
the way around.

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California