[SEL] piston rings

Ray Freeman - Portable Line Boring plb at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 28 07:10:32 PDT 2009

I have made quite a few rings for my engines as well as for friends using
the heat treat method and so far have not had a failure. If you have access
to a lathe its one of the easiest parts of a restoration.
Heres how I do it. Chuck up a bit of good cast in your 3 jaw. Bore it to the
fitted ring I.D. Machine the O.D to your bore diameter. Part them off. Split
the rings. ( I use a bit of pressure with some bolt cutters and they
fracture cleanly) Make up a wedge out of a bit of keysteel or whatever is
laying around and stack the rings together with the wedge in the gap holding
them open. Wrap some fireproof cloth to keep the direct flame off them. Put
the stack of rings between two plates with a 3/8 bolt holding them together.
I make up a little firebrick furnace on the shed floor and stick in a LP
torch and keep them to a dull red for a couple of hours. Pull them out when
cool and gap them.So far the rings I have made have gone into new bores and
there is no leakage past the rings and seem to work perfectly.
Ray Freeman