[SEL] piston rings

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Tue Apr 28 05:18:58 PDT 2009

Wayne,
For several years I've had a link on my webpage for 2 scanned documents on
making piston rings using the heat treat method. I never tried this method
as I questioned it's effectiveness.

The traditional method is to cut an over sized ring of the correct
dimensions, remove a section, compress the ring to a collapsed diameter
(now oval shaped), mount the compressed ring in a turning fixture and then
turn the OD to exactly the cylinder diameter. This is the method used by
folks like Niagara Piston Ring.

I took photos as I was doing this last summer and placed it on my website.
Here is the link.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/MakingPistonRings/Thumbnails.html>

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC