[SEL] Stripped stud

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Mon Apr 20 11:03:10 PDT 2009

Sorry, but this isn't an off topic thread ;-)

The exhaust stack flange on my 12hp Ingeco is held in place by two 1/2"
studs to the engine head.

Unfortunately, the upper stud is missing and the hole is pretty well
stripped out with only a trace of threads still showing.  Only the back
of the hole still has enough thread left to hold a bolt in place when
pulled on by hand.  I'm sure if you put a nut on the stud the little bit
of thread wouldn't hold any pulling force.

I'm debating on how to fix it.

I could coat a 1/2" stud with JB Weld and put in place and let it cure,
hoping it will be strong enough to hold the exhaust stack in place.
Remember there is still one good stud so the JB Welded one is getting
some help from the other stud.

Or.....

Rethread the stud hole for a 9/16" stud and then cut down the other end
of the stud and thread it for 1/2". (make a stepped stud, assuming the
hardware store doesn't already stock stepped studs)

I'm thinking rethreading for the larger size is probably the better way
to go, but was wondering if anyone has tried the JD Weld method and had
it work?

George