[SEL] Penetrating oil

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Fri Apr 10 20:40:05 PDT 2009

I do not think Naptha will eat the paint. Its used widely in the
music industry for cleaning the grime off of guitars and other
instruments because it will not damage the finish.  Widely used in
the photography circles too for cleaning camera parts. Sold also as
Goo Be Gone.
Naptha and lighter fluid is one and the same. Slightly different
grades or volatilities of Naptha is available to suit whoever is
packaging it to sell for lighter fluid. Ronson and Zippo and most
generic Lighter fluid is 100% Naptha.  Same as with Varsol, there are
different grades that evaporate faster or slower depending on the
desired application.
  I agree diesel fuel might be another good ingrediant to mix 50-50
with the ATF.  But the naptha will not have the strong odor like diesel.
Just be carefull using indoors due to fume build up potential and its
volatility.   Mark