[SEL] Penetrating oil

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Wed Apr 8 10:19:01 PDT 2009

Jim,

Acetone is a solvent used in the formulation of nail polish, nail polish
remover and many lacquers.  It is totally soluble in water and when mixed
with other solvents has the ability to soften some paint finishes.  Used
alone, acetone is used to clean and degrease metal surfaces;  coin
collectors use acetone to remove fingerprints.

It evaporates very quickly;  short exposure to engine paint, particularly
paint which has hardened with heat over time, should not be a problem.
Early auto finishes, lacquer finishes, are more in jeopardy.  But you can
generally clean engine enamel with a quick wipe with acetone to remove
greasy film and help promote adhesion of new paint.

Toluene or Xylene would probably be better for cutting dried grease and oil
film.  For loosening dried and hardened oil residues, acetone would not be
first choice.  But it apparently acts as a carrier for transmission fluid,
encouraging and promoting deep penetration.  This application as a rust
penetrant gets my attention.

I am disappointed that Gibbs penetrant was not included in these tests.
Gibbs is, to me, the best rust cutter I have tried.  I had soaked parts of a
steam engine in Kroil and WD-40 for a couple weeks with no progress.  Ten
miniutes with Gibbs and the rust melted away, the bolts were free with
minimal torque.

Jim in Vermont.  Where snow is still falling.