[SEL] New Toy

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:45:33 PDT 2008

On 15/09/2008, Steve Royster <steve_royster at hotmail.com> wrote:

> That is a great find! Can you explain what a college engine is?  Thanks for
> sharing that beauty, Steve>

Further to Helen's reply, college engines were also produced by Ruston
& Hornsby, Crossley, Tangyes, and a couple of others. Our own Ruston &
Hornsby 1ZHR engine was supplied to Abingdon College in the 1960's
with a friction brake and various monitoring devices for revs,
temperature etc etc. We also have an electric dynamometer to go with
ours in addition to the Heenan & Froude unit which is now going to
stay with the Caterpillar 1Y73 research engine.

Loughborough College actually made their own engines which were sold
to other institutions, and are much sought-after these days.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com