[SEL] Engine finishes

Judge Tommy Turner Lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Sep 9 17:26:51 PDT 2008

Jimmy,
    What I use is a mixture of 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% mineral
spirits.  If you want to tint it a bit (say you have an old hunk of iron
that has some original paint and you want to bring it out) you can add a
little oil based paint, maybe a couple teaspoons per quart of linseed
oil/mineral spirits mixture.  I've added a little deep red paint to the
mixture to bring out the original red paint on an old hunk.  Its worked well
for me but to each his own.  I remember some discussion on Harry's site a
few years ago where I mentioned the mixture I use.  One gent responded
"don't ever do that... I'd never put that on one of my engines!".  I
responded back that's fine, he never had to use it.  But, on my old iron
I'll use what I want.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY