[SEL] apple cider mill help

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Oct 9 19:04:00 PDT 2008

Germoamer at aol.com wrote:
> Friend called tonight.  He wants to fix up and old apple cider  mill to grind
> cider using an electric motor.  The mill has a 10  inch x 2 1/2 inch flat
> pulley on it.  Motor is 1725 rpm with a 5/8 diameter  shaft and 3/16 keyway.
> What would be the recommended rpm of the  mill?  And then where can we find a
> pulley short of making one?  Of  course it is probably a small pulley and could
> make an aluminum one on the old  SB lathe.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Tom  Schmutz
> Concord, Va.
> germoamer at AOL.com

If you are talking about the grinder speed. I wouldn't turn one any
faster than 60-70 RPM. To use that motor you will want a jack shaft with
pulleys at both ends. Put a 2" pulley on the motor going to a 10" on the
jack shaft and on the other end of the shaft use a 2" pulley to drive
the 10". Install the jack shaft solidly and install the motor with an
over center style lock. That way you can just pull a lever to disengage
the motor. What you would end up with is about 70 RPM.

Figure 1725 RPM through the first 5:1 reduction = 345 RPM
That 345 RPM through the second stage of 5:1 reduction will give you 69
RPM.
The reason you don't want the grinder running much faster is that most
are NOT close to precision balanced or built. They will shake themselves
to death and take you with them at higher speeds. Now if his mill uses a
screw style press then that section will be powered by Armstrong!

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York