[SEL] Piston Rings and old engines.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Thu Oct 2 13:53:29 PDT 2008

Tommy,George,
I just replied to George on his question about predicting the ID of the
blank ring to have the ID come out to the correct ID to work in the ring
groove. Now I'm not so sure that you can increase the blank ring ID by the
removed segment length/PI. Despite using wire to compress, I'm not
convinced the entire hoop of the ring deflects evenly. Still have a couple
of rings to turn for the smaller piston, so I'm going to make a point take
a few measurements and report back. It could turn out to be simply that
the smallest dimension on the ID oval is simple 1/2 the gap amount. In
otherwords, if the gap is to be 1/2", the smallest oval dimension will be
1/4" less. But I'll measure and report back.
Curt