[SEL] Old Iron Rebuild

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Wed Oct 1 14:15:45 PDT 2008

Fine example of what went on the belt, Helen and Jim!!  Also looks like a
fine example of "loose wheel, tight wheel," in which if one wanted to stop
the pump, you would slide the belt over to the loose wheel.  We're just
finishing up a big F-M piston pump which has this same feature.
  One would think that the loose wheel would have a greaser in the hub and
not setscrews and the tight wheel would have setscrews which tightened on a
flat spot on the shaft.  I know a lot of these were cheated one way or
another to make tight wheels out of both.

  So I guess I'm asking if there's any evidence of a greaser like a female
pipe thread on the loose wheel for a greaser?  Ours does have a collar which
holds the loose wheel on.  Both of ours have setscrews and evidence of being
cheated.

And was there a special tool to move the belt from one pulley to the other?

Comments from all welcome.

RickinMt.