[SEL] Web Sites Shut Down

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 09:36:13 PST 2008

On 20/11/2008, Paul Pavlinovich <pjp08 at steamengine.com.au> wrote:
> Just have him killed.

Liked that :-))

The problem is not so much that someone has downloaded a picture, or
that he has subsequently posted it on a public image forum, it is that
over the years we have tried to present the engine preservation
movement as a thinking and reasonable recipient and home for
manufacturer's data, where that data would not otherwise be made
available. There is still a lot of data available only in closed
archives that are not generally accessible to engine guys.

We agreed with David Harris that the information that he gave us for
the site would not be splashed around the place or used for commercial
reward, and I have kept to that. By and large, the majority of the
engine movement has also honoured that unspoken but understood
agreement.

Whether it was digitally watermarked or not, and the very early stuff
wasn't, it is the attitude of the guy in particular that made me so
bl**dy mad, and still does. The images in question are not generally
available, although these days there are probably other copies
available that have originated with our site. The guy said that he had
the manuals for the engine in question and that the pictures were in
there, which they are not. The images are the original Lister factory
data sheets, copies of which are just not around, and I had to borrow
David's copies to get them scanned.

I don't 'need' the hassle quite frankly, it would be just as easy to
wipe the whole thing and save myself a few thousand bucks a year in
the process.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes