[SEL] Wanted: Pair of old Panel Meters for a Searchlight Generator

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 12 15:16:21 PST 2008

Peter:

I most likely had what you need about three or four years ago.  I got rid of several boxes of analog meters of various types.  Sorry.

I think that, during WWII, Weston, Westinghouse and Burlington made the most often used meters.  Unfortunately, they've fallen by the wayside.

I did look on the Web and found that what they call a 3-1/2" meter is actually 3-1/2" at the flange and that's as big as the round ones get.  Here's a Simpson Electric data page for the round meters:
http://www.simpsonelectric.com/uploads/File/datasheets/round_datasheet.pdf

Rectangular meters fit a 2.75" hole in the panel and have a 4.66" front (flange).  These would probably fit the panel with a bit of drilling for the mounting holes.  Here's another data page for the rectangular meters:
http://www.simpsonelectric.com/uploads/File/datasheets/rectangular_datasheet.pdf
Model 29 0-150 DC Volt is a number 07720
Model 29 0-50 DC Amperes is a number 00540

Hoyt made meters of that era.  Here's a sheet with their analog meters.   (Note: Hoyt meters are not connected with the famous Hoyt-Clagwell Tractor Company).
http://www.weschler.com/_upload/catalog/69e.pdf

Here's a listing of old meters.  Didn't have the patience to go through it:
http://www.oldradioparts.com/2a20fl.txt

There are some Chinese analog meters that may fit the panel but they have Chinese characters as well as European so wouldn't look right in the vintage stuff.

Good luck!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand