[SEL] United engine questions

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 19:23:45 PST 2008

About a year and a half ago we went on a trip to get some Titan tractor parts in SK. We stopped for the night in Moose Jaw and I found an ad in a local paper for a hit and miss engine. It turned out to be a 1 3/4 hp hopper cooled United type A.
I have owned a lot of engines, but this is my first United. Since it looks like it is going to be a long, long winter. I want to get it in the shop and restore it. I have several questions and am hoping that the folks on the list can enlighten me.
First, does anyone have a paint code, preferable Centauri?
Next, this engine has a mixer on it like an Associated. I have seen a few Uniteds, but they had Lunkenheimer mixers on them. Could the Associated mixer be correct, or is it a later addition?
Next, were Uniteds available with the same right angle gear drive mag as found on some Associateds? I have a mag that has been on my shelf for years and it fits the engine, I just wonder if they were originally sold that way.
Does anyone have any photos that they would share with me? This engine is missing the fuel tank and I need to build a cart for it, so a few photos would be a big help.
It has been quite a while since I restored an engine and I am really looking forward to this project. I hope to make it to Portland or Buckley this year, so I need something to take with me.....
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe Prindle
Baraboo, WI USA
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." Spike Milligan