[SEL] ENGINE DATES

Eric Schulz ilifa at internode.on.net
Sun Nov 2 15:14:02 PST 2008

Regarding the dating of the Ruston Hornsby engines built by Harris
Scarfe & Sandovers, I have been doing more research. Should have done
it before my last misleading post!
 From an internet search I have found that Sandovers Ltd bought out
the Perth branch of Harris, Scarfe & Co back in 1923. What confused me
was that they advertised as Sandovers well into the 1940's.
So, this now makes the 1940 - 1945 era as the dates of manufacture for
these engines as I originally believed. I just confused myself along
the way!
Here are some sites to look at:
http://www.cityofadelaide.org.au/Sandover_William.shtml
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A160203b.htm