[SEL] Cast iron chemistry

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Thu May 15 15:26:26 PDT 2008

Wondering what this means, and if the nickel content is high...... Perhaps
compared to other blocks? Some say so.

Is it high compared to other cast iron?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/ijwebb/forum/nickel.jpg

There's debates on if those numbers are typical.

I suspect our antiques are pretty ordinary in content......... And not all
that hard. Also wondering about heads/valves, etc.
Although I suspect those are hardened after the casting process as needed.

Bill