[SEL] Cast iron chemistry

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:49:46 PDT 2008

2008/5/15 Bill Dickerson <bill at antique-engines.com>:

> Can someone tell me the common content of cast iron used for various things.
> Examples include:
> The cast iron used on the old engine blocks and heads.
> The cast used for the flywheels.
> The cast used for auto engine blocks
> The cast used for auto engine blocks in the 60s.
> Were the heads cast using different chemistries?
> What is "automotive gray cast iron"
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bill

Bill:

I have a copy of the"Gray Iron Castings Handbook" on the desk, and as
far as specifications go, it's a huge subject.

The main standards are: SAE, ASTM, ASA, US Navy, US Military.

I can pull out some detail for you, but I think that you may be better
off getting something similar in your hands to have a read of.

My copy is dated 1958, and published by the Gray Iron Founders Society
Inc., Cleveland.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes