[SEL] tapered pin removal

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sat May 3 07:06:40 PDT 2008

Tom;
I applaud your ingenuity on coming up with a solution to a problem that is
usually a real PITA. As to the idea of Vice Grips, we use them at work to
pull blade sections from steel rule dies, and we modify them to be slide
hammer equippped. We found that replacing the lock screw didn't work very
well, so we drill a hole in the upper handle in back of where the jaw
attaches and put a shoulder bolt through it and a yoke we make by bending a
piece of 1/2" x 1/8" steel into a U-shape about 8" long. We put a piece of
5/8" round stock in the bottom of the U and weld it in, and drill and tap a
hole for a 1/4" threaded rod. Any piece of round stock with a 9/32" hole
drilled through it works for a slide, depending on the weight we need, and a
locknut and washer finishes it off. It's one of those tools you don't use
often, but when you need it, nothing else will do, (well, almost nothing
else, as we've seen here!).
  Thanks for sharing!
Jim Mackessy